1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Abilista (Japan Cup 2018) - Build

Discussion in 'MA' started by ckalli, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ckalli

ckalli Screw

This is my first foray into Tamiya Mini 4wd. decided to restrict myself to the Pro Stock category. Simply to learn as much as i can before fully modifying the car without understanding what i am doing. After about 3 different set ups i have now got a reasonably stable car and managed to complete the circuit.

For the fun race coming up (my first), I’m using a 4:1 gear ratio and the Atomic Tuned motor. Although the track is set up for speed, I found even using a 3.7 or 3.5 ratio was causing the car to jump the track at random locations on the 3rd lap. I assume this is to the build-up of speed.

I've added my build and some photos of the track at Otaku ME, Dubai.

Wish me luck and any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4183.jpg IMG_4183.jpg IMG_4184.jpg IMG_4210.JPG IMG_4211.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Awesome looking track.

ckalli likes this.
  3. tarutaru

tarutaru Washer

Just a basic tip, I would put those low friction maroon tires on the front to help with faster cornering speed, and put the hard/super hard black tires on the back to help reduce bounce after landing a jump.

Also, the bottom rollers on the back being with rubber rings slows the car down a lot since the bottom rollers are the ones mainly making contact with the track. Probably can make the car go faster if u take them out or put them on the top instead of bottom

ckalli likes this.
  4. ckalli

ckalli Screw

Will try this out and test on track. But, I think if I go any faster my car won’t stay on track for 3 laps.

5. tarutaru

tarutaru Washer

If u want u can even try all low friction maroon tires, or putting rollers with rubber rings on the front. That will slow the car down for sure specially on corners. Also can try other motors such as rev tuned

ckalli likes this.
  6. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

They are running a regular lane change, so you will be at a disadvantage with an MA chassis. They will not perform as well as an FMA chassis for a limited class like pro stock. Also, where and how your car is crashing out is important in finding a fix or it.

But some suggestions. Dump the rubber rollers as other suggested. In it's place put the 13mm from the kit. On the top get rid of the rollers you have and put another set o the plastic 12/13mm rollers. This will act as a bit more of a stabilizer than what you have now. You should be allowed at least certain poly bodies as some kits come with them. Find one that fits and use it to lower your weight/center of gravity.

If you want to go the FMA route, go buy a Mach Frame, Copperfang or Gunbuster light blue special. Eventhough the copperfag and mach frame have ABS bodies, they are light weight and work well.

ckalli likes this.
  7. yao wei

yao wei Lock Nut

otakume allowed stabilizer on the sides?

8. ckalli

ckalli Screw

No they did not.

9. ckalli

ckalli Screw

Well stock class didn’t work out so went all in. This is the new set up.

Last image is the track im up against. Set up is 3.5 ratio with light dash. Thinking if I should go with a faster motor or play it safe

10F3DFDD-6C50-4A84-8972-A8B1B924A530.jpeg C79345C7-8FBF-4D9F-8900-2580A15343D9.jpeg B220EC09-4A5E-464E-907D-CFE5FB331C53.jpeg 97EE572D-E992-48D9-B7F9-0C03AE3B0EDD.jpeg

10. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

You will likely need more side mass damper than what you have, especially since it's not a body damper system,.

That track is really fast. At least a hyper dash, probably mach dash for the fast MS flex cars. Both table tops slopes should be cleared with carrying that much speed.

ckalli likes this.
  11. ckalli

ckalli Screw

This is a MA car. I added more weight and the light dash was fine. Tried the Japan cup Hyper Dash. It’s too fast for this set up and flying off the table top.

12. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

What I meant is that on that track, more advanced Japan Cup style MS flex cars would likely run a Hyper Dash or Mach Dash. But your car does look good. Very similar to what many people racer here in our tuned class.

What is your car doing when it crashes out? does it jump straight or is it tilted to the side? Does it land and bounce out? If it's tilting that is likely a problem with one side of your brakes hitting sooner than the other. If it is bouncing out, it can be a couple things. The Abilista body is a little top heavy and may cause some problem. Most of us run polycarbonate bodies to help with that. That a long with a simple proper body damper system could go a long way in helping the bounce problem. Finally it could be tires. Your tires are not trimmed so there is a little more bounce with them(even the super hards) compared to the smaller 24mm trimmed tires.

ckalli likes this.
  13. ckalli

ckalli Screw

I moved the small weights to the front and inside the body, and used the bullet type side dampers to increase the weight. This small increase in weight balanced the car out and i was able to move all the way up to a Mach dash motor with he 3.5 ratio. I’m using the green brakes on the back currently. Any subtle ways to increase speed or reduce weight?

IMG_4508.jpg IMG_4516.jpg IMG_4519.jpg

Mini4WDSven likes this.
  14. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

Fujitsu pink or Ikea LADDA 900(or maybe they are 950 or 1000) MAH batteries are lighter weight and will speed the car up.
    Breaking in the motor can help a lot. Mach dash are really fast and I don't know if you're getting the best performance out of it.
    620 axle bearings, 520 gear bearings, fluorine shafts are all small improvements
    Polycarbonate body will lighten it up.
    Your upper rear rollers look like they are the non-ringed 19mm. A set of ringed 19mm will reduce friction and speed the car a little. The 5 spoke ringed rollers seem to be best.
    Clean all bearings in Ronsonol(lighter fluid) will help reduce friction and get them spinning better.

ckalli likes this.
  15. ckalli

ckalli Screw

Will check the batteries. I did a simple break in. Getting around 28000 from the Giri app. Not sure if that’s good enough.
    Using 519 bearings as 620s were sold out. Also using the fluorine shaft and gear bearings.

16. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

If you were running at 3 volts when checking on Giri, that is not very fast for a Mach Dash. Most Mach Dashes are in the 35k or more range. I have seen them up to 42k. 28k is a decent Hyper Dash. Mach Dashes have carbon brushes that take longer to break in so I would give it some more time breaking in.

ckalli likes this.
  17. ckalli

ckalli Screw

I did a few practice rounds yesterday. I’m super slow compared to others. VS power dash and ms hyper dash. I will do a longer break in and report on RPMs. I’m thinking set up may need to change to adjust for the increase in speed. Let’s see.

I changed the body to a DR 2. Mostly cause I wanted to learn how to paint. And Otaku taught me.

18. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

Even a slow mach dash should perform well, I'm wondering if there is not something simple that we cannot diagnose through pictures. Watch the below video, Z3nbuster goes through building a MA chassis tuned car. I know you are doing open, but the level of your build is close to our tuned class here in Los Angeles. Pay particular attention to how he sets up the gears and front and rear brake heights. But there is a lot of good information in the video(there is a second part as well you should watch) and get you headed in the right direction. I'll say that your roller stay choices are generally fine, don't worry about hunting down exactly the same part as he is using. it may make a small difference, but not change from super slow to competitive.

Kaybo likes this.
  19. Chris

Chris Screw

Hey only my second post so take this with a grain of salt. First really nice car it looks like you have put a lot of thought in the set up. One small piece of advice I got and will share. Move your brake foams in and let the end of your popsicle sticks be bare at the end. This seams to help when coming back down into the track. The foam on the end is grabby and the bare carbon slides. It helped me stick the landing a little more consistently. :cool:

Kaybo and ckalli like this.
  20. ckalli

ckalli Screw

Didn’t get too much more trying a longer break in. Saw a video with a 8 hr break in for the Mach Dash!! Guess it will improve over time.

Getting about 31k now. Changed the cowl to a DCR2 that I custom painted. Not the fastest car but stable. Will see how it does this weekend. Moved the breaks to the middle. Helped a lot with stability. Moved to the 1000mAH batteries from Ikea. Def lighter and helped the acceleration.

Here are a few pics of the new set up.
    0A9A14CC-ACA9-40DB-B759-E9AA6CAC82C8.jpeg
    11A30AAA-0378-4BEB-A49F-C72920A9E941.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    kemtooler likes this.