1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Another day another FMAR

Discussion in 'AR / FMAR' started by Dxn Provisions, May 25, 2017.

1. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Decided to start another FMAR build this week and took more photos of what I do to the chassis while building them. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2336.JPG
    I like to use tape to give myself a guide while I cut the chassis. Makes it somewhat easier to cut straight with a dremmel.

IMG_2337.JPG

This is the finished product after cutting everything and cleaning up the rough edges with a plastic specific file and exacto.

IMG_2341.JPG
    This is a little trick I saw on a YouTube video from Dribar, the World Champ does this to his FMAR setups. They split a piece of carbon and half and glue it on the sides of the front of the chassis to stiffen it up after you cut it down. FMARs are prone to break near the motor mount due to the increased weight in the front.

IMG_2342.JPG

Detailed photos showing the pocket I cut out to accept the CF

IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2345.JPG

The next three photos show the Flex you achieve by doing these chassis mods. A lot of builds in the Tamiya Racing world rely on trying to make chassis Flex when they land, giving more room for error on a jump.

IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2349.JPG

Attached Files:

Jan F likes this.
  2. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Phase 2 coming in ! Photo heavy.

IMG_2350.JPG
    My color scheme.

IMG_2351.JPG
    I've seen many Japanese racers cut the battery clip like this in order to allow the chassis to Flex still once the cover is on.

IMG_2352.JPG
    The rear switch cover has to be trimmed as well, to allow for the batteries to be inserted in reverse as well as clear the rear/front of the car when you bolt on a rear bumper.

IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2354.JPG
    This is a little trick a lot of veteran racers do with foam behind the terminals so you have more contact with the batteries.
    IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2357.JPG

Finished and cut battery cover as well as switch cover.

IMG_2358.JPG
    Fitted on. The smaller section of the battery cover will be glued in place

IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2363.JPG

These photos show the Flex the chassis still has even when the batteries are installed.

3. PersonalUser

PersonalUser Washer

Where'd you get those orange rollers? And how much were they? I've been looking around for those here in the Philippines and so far I've been offered copy rollers huhu (orange is one of my favorite colors sooooo)

4. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Haha, I got them from a local racer here. $60 for 5 of them :/

Tamiya is releasing orange ringed 3 aero spoke rollers next month ! Wait for them

5. PersonalUser

PersonalUser Washer

Daaaamn, based on how they look and how they perform (based on that one vid where Z3n bluster had em) they're sorta worth it....?? Although I was able to get 3 pairs of orange ringed 3 spoke aero rollers from a local store here hehe

6. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    I never did finish this thread with a final photo!

Here they are, been racing this car for the last month or so.
    IMG_2419.JPG

Drew likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I decided to try a flex build, I've been wanting to try for a while. I took the chassis from my suspension concept car and may have taken it a slight too far.

20180620_184456.jpg 20180620_184518.jpg 20180620_184534.jpg 20180620_193153.jpg 20180620_193159.jpg

8. David S.

David S. Spacer

9. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Wasn't thinking too much about the colour scheme to be honest, just using spare parts that I had lying around.