1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Benefit of all 19mm rollers setup?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by RuyHD, May 26, 2019.

1. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

Hi guys!

Good day everyone, I'm curious what's the benefit of having all 19mm rollers front and back over 13mm front+19mm rear setup?.

Thanks!

2. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

All 19mm roller, especially on the front since will give you more benefit in facing digital curve since the large diameter of the roller will help you push your car to the inner side of the track and can "skip" the gap in digital curve better compared to smaller roller. Smaller roller can get caught in the gap in the digital curve and slow down your car.

All 19mm roller also give you better stability for your car around the corner. If you're using a minimum contact surface roller like the plastic ring 5 spoke or the 3 spoke (aero type), it'll boost your car's cornering speed.

RuyHD likes this.
  3. Kajiren

Kajiren Screw

Any downside to using front 19mm rollers?

4. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

Thanks Sir Roscoe! Great insights about digital curve using 19mm roller :), however if a layout doesn't have any digital turns maybe 13mm front instead of 19mm will give better corner speed at normal corners?

Thanks!

5. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Between 13mm and 19mm, a lot of it seems mostly to come down to contact area. The standard 19mm ringless and 13mm rollers have a pretty wide contact area, this provides more friction and helps keep the car on the track, but slows it down as well. Switching to the 12/13mm double roller has a smaller contact area so should be faster. the new 19mm tapered also have a smaller contact area.

With Tamiya opening up the rules to unlimited rollers in 2018, many racers are experimenting with adding extra rollers to one side to deal with specific obstacles. If your car is great for a track except one specific place, slowing your car just slightly in the curve before the issue, can be a way to fine tune your car to the track. For example, at the last race I attended, my FMAR was great except there was an eiger drop causing racers lots of problems. To deal with this, I added one 19mm plastic ringed roller to the front to slightly increase friction only on left turns. It worked well enough that I had little problem with the drop and ended up second overall. In the picture below you can see that the first place car actually was running double stack rollers on both sides of his car.

IMG_2861.jpg

Others have also used the idea on the Japan Spring GP track where there was one very difficult curve after a gradual slope. In this case they added a roller to the left side to increase the friction(or grip) of the car going through that tough corner.

RuyHD likes this.
  6. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

Thanks Sir Itr74! Detailed explanation as always! :). Speaking of 19mm tappered rollers if ever I will adapt that AT front bumper is it necessary to use that roller as being installed below the roller stay?. Actually I'm thinking of getting that roller because of the thin contact surface and anti-catch mechanism hehe.

7. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

A lot of the Japanese racers are not using the tapered rollers. My design uses it but can be adapted to running the roller on top of the plate. As the picture below shows, instead of using a cap screw, they counter sink the carbon plate and use a countersunk screw to make a flat surface to slide across. This is something I want to experiment with as the tapered rollers are heavy and can be annoying to get to spin well. I am just waiting for the new 2019 Jcup H-bars to be released so I can complete several upgrades at once.

IMG_3600.jpg

RuyHD likes this.
  8. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

Thanks again Sir Itr74 :)

9. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Sadly, 13mm roller still got wider contact surface compared to the 19mm plastic ring roller. But I can't give you a dfinite answer since I still can't confirmed which roller is the best. But as of right now, if we're talking about a great cornering without thinking any stability issue, then the best roller would be the 19mm plastic ring (aero spoke).

There is another way also to increase your cornering speed, watch this one bro: