1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Current AR build

Discussion in 'AR / FMAR' started by ap910, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ap910

ap910 Screw

Haven’t seen much posted on the forums lately, figured I post my current build. Trying to get into open class racing. Going try this setup with ultra dash motor. Still need a few more upgrades like ball bearings and a front under guard. As always I’m open to any contrastive criticism. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Kaybo and Drew like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Looks nice, but I don't think you'll get much help without more close up pics showing what you've done under the shell, not that I could give much anyway.

3. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

Pictures of the front, rear and bottom without the body on would be helpful, but for a start.

You're going to want to replace the FRP with carbon pieces. Even in tuned class we run full carbon as it's much stiffer so there is less flex with the rollers. To start with and since they are so useful I would pick up a pack of the 13/19mm carbon reinforcing plate to replace your front and rear roller stays. $11 for a huge upgrade.You can then use the front FRP piece you have as either a front under guard or as the brake piece in the rear(after cutting)

Cap screws to mount rollers is nearly a must have, Those front screws will bend in the first race you try them at. It's an expensive upgrade considering you only get 4 cap screws, but they will last a long time.

You'll need a rear mass damper, easiest and cheapest way is to buy one of the 6x6x32mm bars. It comes with all the screws you need to mount it to a FRP/Carbon brake bar.

Rollers, for entry level open, 19mm HG ball bearing rollers (the ones with holes in them) for the rear top and bottom. In the front, 19mm HG ball bearing on bottom, 17mm plastic ringed on top. If you can get the orange plastic ringed 19mm rollers, buy two sets for the rear. For some reason even rollers that should perform the same (ie everything same except color swap) there are differences. Orange ringed 19mm ball bearing rollers spin much better than the blue, teal, red versions). Don't run plastic ringed on the bottom in the front as they don't have as much grip as the aluminum so especially in open, it may cause you to crash out.

I would also watch Mad Tang's AR chassis foundation video series, it has a lot of good information in general and specifically for AR as well.

That should get you headed in the right direction.

ap910 likes this.
  4. ap910

ap910 Screw

Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate it