1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Discharing / Cycle / Taking good care of our batteries

Discussion in 'Tools/Batteries/Chargers' started by Smigul, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Smigul

Smigul Box Kit

Hello Guys..

I just want to ask your opinions / experience on how you taking good care of your batteries and maximized its potential

Thank You

2. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

Hi Smigul :) huehuehue. i remember your name on some PH Tamiya Mini 4wd Groups. the one with a captains hat i believe. am i correct?

well anyway regarding your query. I have a tip for discharging. there is a way to fully drain the energy of the battery to ensure that you can charge it from 0% to 100%. since it is not advisable to charge batteries on and on even though you did not really drain the batteries. there is a multifunction battery charger. i think its the Powerrex charger that has a feature where in it will acually discharge the battery to 0%. doing it this way before charging to 100% is one of the best way to maintain battery performance and life :)

Kaybo likes this.
  3. Kaybo

Kaybo Screw

when using NIMH batteries, Saybi is correct - you want to first get them down to 0% before charging them. They don't have a 'memory' like NiCDs do, but they will only charge part of the way if not fully discharged.

when we were still using the 'round cells' in 10th scale, we'd even store the 6cell packs dead shorted (discharge to 0% them dead short them, connect the negative to positive). this kept the packs in the best condition.

if you're going to cycle them - make sure you leave enough time between cycles so that they can cool off before charging them again. 3 or 4 cycles should tell you the good batteries from the weaker ones.. then just match them up accordingly. that's how I used to do my AAA cells for mini-z - 4 cycles, look at the average volts, internal restistence (lower=better), and run-time. then match the closest values together as a 'pack'. these are easier since it only needs 2 cells for a pack, so you won't need as many to find a few good sets. the better the sets because 'race packs', next level would be practice or qualifying packs, and the lowest would strictly be practice packs

hope that helps

4. Sera Olo

Sera Olo Box Kit

So, it is advisable to always discharge NIHM batteries before charging and using them?

5. Kaybo

Kaybo Screw

i haven't been only because i pre-charge before i go to an event, but you'll get better performance if you did