1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

further improving my AR

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by apaulo.bay, Jul 20, 2019.

1. apaulo.bay

apaulo.bay Screw

hey i'm slowly getting into the hobby and here's my AR, it has some troubles landing slopes and jumps, it always fly in a diagonal angle, any suggestions are welcome

Attached Files:

2. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

I'm guessing you are referring to yaw in the below diagram from the description of diagonal. What is happening is one side of the car is hitting the track before the other side on the slope sections, this is causing extra drag on one side and causing the car ro jump sideways.

Roll and yaw are going to have some similar causes. First, make sure your axles are straight. Even if you eyeball it and it looks straight, they may be bent causing some inconsistencies. If you don't have an axle checker, replace your current axles with hollow shafts. They are straighter and stronger than the stock axles. Hardened axles are stronger, but will likely not be straight. The hollow axles are generally your best choice.

Make sure your rims and tires are straight and not wobbling.

Finally, make sure that all the way across your brakes they hit at the same time. Front and rear don't need to hit at the same time, but across the width of each, the left, center and right should contact the track at the same time. Use one of the aluminum setting boards and Tamiya Mini 4wd setting gauge(or whatever brand you have). By using the smaller .2mm thickness washers and thicker .4mm washers, to admits your brake bar, you should be able to get good consistent even brake material.

I also see that your screw heads on the bottom of the chassis and brake are not countersunk. do that as soon as you can. The Tamiya countersink bit makes it super easy and this will give you a nice flat surface to apply brakes and make sure everything is consistent.

Attached Files:

3. apaulo.bay

apaulo.bay Screw

yeah i was talking about the yaw (sorry I don't know the exact term) but this helps i'm going to japan soon and probably get a boat load of parts since buying parts in Australia is very rare. this helps thank you very much :)