1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] How to make MS suspension Build Tutorial Guide

Discussion in 'MS' started by Chris Lee Design, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Chris Lee Design

Chris Lee Design Aluminum Lock Nut

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I will be spending the next week or so posting pics and explaining how to setup the difficult but doable MS suspension. This thread will be pic heavy.

So Stay Tuned!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    seanwafo, Murdock, Patchy and 6 others like this.
  2. Chris Lee Design

Here is the complete photo guide for a basic MS suspension build.

What you start with:
    SKR_5429 copy.jpg

Where to cut:
    SKR_5427 copy.jpg
    What you end up with:
    SKR_5430 copy.jpg

Here is where you cut the pegs off so that there is room for the spacers and springs to sit. I personally use the proxxon mill so it's easier, but with a small metal cut off blade for the dremel, you should be able to replicate the cut. How much you cut affects your spring travel, but I would leave at least 1.5mm of plastic above the line. You can see I put a FRP plate there and cut above it, anything less than that and it will break during a crash in the front.
    SKR_5435 copy.jpg
    Side view
    SKR_5431 copy.jpg
    Top View: Rear only, you cut the front differently.
    SKR_5438 copy.jpg

Where to cut the pegs off on the body
    SKR_5445 copy.jpg

Cutting the front bumper. I use a popsicle to measure the line. You'll also noticed I cut the tabs on the bottom by the N-02. You want to do that for both chassis pieces.
    1.jpg

The circled holes are the mounting holes for the popsicle.
    2.jpg

Make the cut, I always leave a buffer when I cut and I sand it down to get it just right. This way it will support the front roller bar with extra support.
    3.jpg

These are the bottom supports for the suspension. You will need a total of 2 H-bars, one for the front and one for the rear. The shape doesn't need to be exactly like this, it just needs to fit around the hump of the gear cover.
    4.jpg
    Here you can see how it sits slightly above the gear hump to clear everything needed.
    5.jpg
    Here is the inner suspension portion. This part is modifiable, I use these spacers because of my tire height, but you can adjust these to be higher or lower to fit your needs and how they jump/bounce. There is a lot of tuning ability with this setup.
    6.jpg
    This is showing the order of the items on the support plate.
    7.jpg
    Plate -> Chassis -> Spacer -> Spacer -> Spring
    9.jpg
    Here it is loosely installed on the bottom for a visual. The top is bolted on and ready to roll.
    10.jpg
    Side view of the finished setup.
    11.jpg
    Front view of the finished setup.
    12.jpg
    Bottom view of the finished setup. I used an frp piece on the bottom to show that you can get creative with your support plate.
    13.jpg
    The top view. You can also see how I cut the battery holder. Don't have too, just weight savings and easy finger access for battery.
    14.jpg

That's it! This is the basic MS suspension setup with spacers/springs. You'll notice that when you test fit the pieces in and you try to move the suspension up and down, it won't be smooth at first. You have to figure out where it is contacting and file it down. Don't over file because it becomes too loose, but this is the part that makes it hard, it can take a while to get it filed just right so the suspension moves up and down accordingly.

Last tip, if you look closely at the red circled area, the part where the front and rear bumper slide up and down at. You'll notice it's not perfectly straight, it actually tapers from bigger to smaller as you slide up, causing it to bind. That's because this wasn't built to slide up and down, just to snap in and not move. Take a square file and slip it inside to the smallest taper section and file outwards. This will make the area straight and not taper. It took me a few MS builds to figure this out and as this is the main cause of not having a smooth suspension.

Hard to show in pictures, I hope this illustration explains it.
    aa.jpg msfile.png

There you have it. Now you just figure out your roller setting, brake bar etc. Hope this helps, this is very hard to learn from squinting at pictures on instagram and watching japanese videos, and there are many ways to do MS suspension. This is just the basic way that I've seen it being done in Japan. Get creative with it and try it out.

Chris

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      200.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    tarutaru, Patchy, MrBot and 7 others like this.
  3. Hyunsoo Kim

Hyunsoo Kim Screw

It's really informative! Thanks for sharing!

4. Chris Lee Design

Updated and finished, have any questions feel free to ask!

Hyunsoo Kim likes this.
  5. D3MON

D3MON Box Kit

NICE INFO ! Thanks For Sharing

6. mikebringer

mikebringer Box Kit

What is the advantage of MS suspension than standard build?

7. Chris Lee Design

I guess the whole principal is we build laterns or body dampers to mimic suspension. The point of the latern is to act as shock absorption for impact during a bounce or landing so your car lands and goes. Well, why mimic when you can make the real thing? I'm not saying laterns don't work, obviously they do, but building actual suspension to me is the real advantage instead of trying to mimic it.

Some other advantages that are a side effect of MS suspension are:

Weight, because you don't need to build a body damper and you barely need a rear mass damper. I think the lowest weight I've gotten on a car without batteries is 113gm.

Flex, when I started building mini 4wd, it seemed like everyone was trying to make their chassis as stiff as possible. If you go to videos in the forum and watch all the Tamiya slow mo videos, you'll see why flex is so important. I think these are 2 different trains of thought, but I went to flex builds after seeing those videos and I immediately see an advantage now.

To me, the biggest disadvantage is the difficulty making the MS suspension build. It's the hardest thing to make in my opinion. It takes a lot of work to dial it in right, and you may not get it right the first time. It took me 5 versions to get to what you see in the photos today. This isn't to discourage, I just want it to be clear that this is difficult to do, but it does work. So everyone knows what they are getting into.

8. noypiastig

noypiastig Box Kit

Do you think there is an advantage of using this reinforced MS chassis over a regular MS chassis?

9. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Excellent, I've been looking for a good guide to attempt this.

10. Chris Lee Design

Absolutely, reinforced is the best way to go. I've seen the ABS plastic chassis break on a bad front crash.

Great to hear, it took a lot of zooming in on instagram pics and watching Japanese videos and translating to get this information.

11. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Box Kit

Very nice build, I followed a Japanese video to build my MS suspension while back. I changed some areas around to fit what I was looking for but for the most part it seems good. I may tryout this suspension when time permits.

Good Job!

Dxn Provisions likes this.
  12. zerosc

zerosc Spacer

thanks orange strated trying this last night useing my sons thats didnt go to well. so i went today go two chassis and well were off to a better start

Attached Files:

13. zerosc

zerosc Spacer

thought i put this since im trying to save some money. 3mm cut in half for the H roller stays

Attached Files:

Murdock likes this.
  14. noypiastig

noypiastig Box Kit

Started on the MS suspension a few days ago also. Used a youtube vid for reference since i forgot about this forum but ended up doind it the same as op. Heres the simple setup for now.

Attached Files:

Drew likes this.
  15. zerosc

zerosc Spacer

only one way to learn thats buy messing stuff up. and im useing all scrap bumbers and i split another 3mm H roller mount in to two

16. Avante Junior

Avante Junior Screw

This is a great resource, thanks for all the pictures and tips. Going to have to try to build some MS suspension.