1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General' started by M4R, Mar 29, 2017.

1. M4R

M4R Administrator

Staff Member
    Say hi and spill the beans on why you got into mini4wd!

PersonalUser likes this.
  2. Chris Lee Design

Chris Lee Design Aluminum Lock Nut

Started messing around as a kid, but was poor so couldn't buy parts. Uber making up for that now as an adult, haha. Something super gratifying about designing and engineering your car and watching it do work on the track. Not quite like any hobby I've ever done. I'm usually shooting, riding, or throwing something so this is a nice change of pace. Done some other types of racing and this one still makes my heart beat out of my chest...so much can happen in 1 lap, I get anxious watching it go round.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    PersonalUser likes this.
  3. Parriehunter

Parriehunter Box Kit

Hi,

I used to have these as a kid back in the 90's and stumbled across some very passionate guys here in New Zealand and have decided to give it a go. I would say I am hooked. The designing and building is something I enjoy and a new father these things do not have to take too much money (that's what I am telling the wife anyway).

My main passion in life is waterfowl hunting which is about a month away from starting.

Here is my MA machine.
    [​IMG]

PersonalUser and Z3N Bluster like this.
  4. アーサー@F-Lev

アーサー@F-Lev Washer

It's a good feeling when you restart an old hobby, especially one that has advanced as much as this one.

Welcome.

PersonalUser and Parriehunter like this.
  5. Chris Lee Design

Welcome to the site!

PersonalUser likes this.
  6. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    I'm in a similar boat to Chris (Orange Bang). Played with Mini 4WD when i was kid back in the 90's when it was super popular, saving money for Plasma motors and stuff. Disappeared for all of high school and college. Recently picked it back up after coming back from Japan.

Looking to help develop the Southern California Racing scene !

PersonalUser and Hyunsoo Kim like this.
  7. PersonalUser

PersonalUser Washer

I got into the hobby mainly because of my family starting with my grandfather and uncle! It's been on and off since but right now, we ended up holding weekly races here in the Philippines! (Check out pasig bambang mini 4wd racers) we aren't as popular as the other groups that hold races but we are slowly gaining pace as we slowly help with the growth of the hobby! Right now I mess with my Super 2 machine which absolutely does work as long as it has good batteries

Attached Files:

8. fadanipai

fadanipai Box Kit

Hii.. great to meet you all. I am from indonesia. Just a completely newbie. Attracted to mini4wd since 90's and able to develop my hobby since 2 years ago. I also realize that this hobby isnt cheap but has no limit for upgrade path. Have some hard time thinking how to reinforced nose unit of sxx chassis.. anyway, thanks sharing..

Attached Files:

9. Chris Lee Design

Thanks for posting! It's cool to see the different builds from different countries. please share more pics whenever you get the chance!

10. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Hi all, I'm Drew from the UK, although I usually just go by my gaming ign of Leiywen or Leiy for short.
    As for me, I originally had a couple cars as a kid, I had a mini4 and an F-Mini. There was a little bit for this hobby back then but I never got to race on a track, so I spent my time just racing them down the upstairs hall way.
    A while later, I got the chance to live in Indonesia for several years which is where I finally got a chance to experience the hobby a little better. I never really got into too much as I was in love with my motorcycle and playing 8 and 9-ball. But the car I had, I did use a cheap upgrade pack and that was about it.
    After that, I came back to the UK. What there was of mini4 had disappeared entirely as Tamiya had quit trying to push the hobby over here due to lack of interest.
    So over the years I've been looking into mini4 every few years when I get the urge, but I always gave up the idea whenever it came to looking for or building track as it was far too expensive (£150 for basic 3lane oval and £330+ for shipping). Also after searching around intensively, there is really little to no interest in the UK period, so it's hard to even think about creating a mini4 scene or getting people interested.
    Just recently I found the game on Android (Mini Legend) and got hooked. This lead me back to wanting the real stuff with even more passion. For the past couple month, I've been ordering a few cars and upgrades as well as been looking for somewhere that could help me build a track. I finally found a local precision diorama hobbyist that builds building and scenery for war gaming and after they did a little research, they've accepted my request for building track sections (they're used to building detail, so something such as mini4 track was very simple for them). I'll probably drop a link to them at a later date for people in the UK that are interested if they decide to keep it on their webpage as a future product.
    I know this is getting a little TL;DR so I'll get to my cars.
    The Blast Arrow on the left is my getting back into it, just a bunch of grade up parts thrown on willy nilly without too much thought, I will come back to this at a later date to rebuild and refine it.
    The MS-L evo.I on the right is my second, I haven't done much to it yet, it's mostly stock with a couple popsicle sticks thrown on for under guard, I've also just received a pack of 13mm roller BB's for that car that I've yet to mount.
    In the middle is my AR Avante which I decided would be my first attempt at a proper professional setup. It's only about half finished, I'm still waiting on gear kit and parts to stabilise the gears as well as wheels, tires and rollers. I'll also redo the body damper as I cut the popsicles too thin and they warped a little (got to brush up on the modelling skills some how). I figured the AR chassis would be my best foray into building a body damper as you don't need to remove the body damper to access everything, which is done from below.

And that concludes my little TL;DR and my intro cars. Here's a pic of them below.
    It's good to meet you all and I look forward to reading up on my techniques and builds (I came here for the MS Suspension!)

Cheers all, Drew/Leiywen

Attached Files:

11. Chris Lee Design

Thanks for sharing man, that's cool that you're all the way from the UK! Welcome!

12. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Box Kit

Hi, I started maybe 2-3 yrs ago with my son when Marukai had those work shops at the store. From there been building off and on watching youtube trying to learn stuff.

13. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Welcome ! Still actively racing ?

14. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Box Kit

Ya when time permits :)

15. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Nice ! come down to the Ultimate race this Saturday =)

16. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Box Kit

Ya I read about it on Facebook, we will make it out there.

Thanks!

17. Manny

Manny Box Kit

Hey all. It's coming up to one year since I started in this hobby. I can actually thank my son for this. We had been to PCHobbies several times spending a fortune on 1/10th scale buggies and he had seen the corner with Mini4wd kits. I didn't give it much thought til I saw they had races there so I figured we'd give it a try. We each built up a car and I won adult box stick my first time out. Hooked ever since. Took a little break for a few months but now at back at it. I have to say I really enjoy having him out with me doing this hobby together. It's a bit intimidating seeing all the different racers and cars out at all the events but I guess that's just more opportunities for me to learn. See you all soon at the races!!!

Attached Files:

AaronWebb91 and Dxn Provisions like this.
  18. Z3N Bluster

Z3N Bluster Screw

Hey Drew, I was going to post that Video from Terry Hunter to get you guys together. But it seems you've already contacted him. I know one other guy somewhere in the UK that recently contacted me. I left him a message directing him here. Hopefully you guys aren't too far apart.

Have you tried speaking to any of the Italian racers? I know this Hobby is pretty huge over there. Perhaps they won't gouge your eyes out with a ridiculous price if you ask them to sell you tracks.

AaronWebb91 likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I'll keep an eye open on here, thanks for letting me know. And yes, I did look into track from Italy, still rather expensive, but since I've already gotten started on the track project with these model builders, I'll follow through on that for now, and given what's been said in communication, it seems that it will be relatively cheap compared to any other options.

20. Chris Lee Design

Like your avatar Drew, lol.