1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is AR Good?

Discussion in 'General' started by DoctorsKolbasa, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DoctorsKolbasa

DoctorsKolbasa Box Kit

As the title says, is AR Good

2. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

It's good. Most of the box stock racers around my place use AR chassis. =)

For modified class, you need to do some reinforcing here and there. I don't have that much experience with AR, so I just assembled it with some mods and ran it. But perhaps these videos can help you with AR chassis:

Good luck!

3. NewbieGuy

NewbieGuy Washer

Hey @DoctorsKolbasa in regards to open class races, while AR Chassis is not as common. The Front motor version of is becoming more and more popular.

it's not a different chassis, but the same with some changes made to act as a front motor power chassis, and deemed one of the best front motor chassis.

4. REYES

REYES Box Kit

Bayan Luma VIII, 4103 Cavite, Philippines
    AR chassis is ok for me but all chassis have their own issues.For the AR chassis,one of its issues that I've encountered (because I have one) is the gear cover. After several races, my AR chassis' gear cover is getting loose. I tried making an alternative way to solve it but still doesnt work.You'll notice it if its so noisy

5. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

As others have mentioned, AR chassis for it's standard configuration is not as popular as other chassis for open class. It has a couple things going against it. First, the gearbox is not nearly as good as the VS or Super 2 single shaft chassis. Second, it is quite heavy compared to those chassis. You can overcome these issues a bit, but it's often not worth the effort when you can make the VS and Super 2 even better with similar work.

Where it does shine is running in a front motor configuration. This fixes a lot of the gearbox issues as everything is running in reverse(There is still other work to do on the gearbox though). In this category it's only completing against the FMA(which has it's own list of problems), and Super FM. It can be quite competitive in this configuration, an FMAR recently won the Shinagawa(?) New Years GP in Japan.

6. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

I just built an AR Chassis car and its not a front motor configuration, the motor is mounted in the rear., ive heard that both AR chassis's and MA are best for beginners, cause they already have decent performance and even with minor mods they can be quiet fast. and too they say that these chassis's are good for beginner classes like box stock.

Aaron likes this.
  7. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

AR and MA are both excellent for box stock and for beginners. They are easy to modify and perform well. It's just when getting into open class that the issues start to appear.

8. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

I've grown to love the AR chassis.

In box stock its hands down the most dominant I would say. The MA chassis is faster right out of the box normally, but is not very stable on technical tracks most of the time. The AR chassis if paired with a fast stock motor is hard to beat. Its rear weight bias make its jumping characteristics very good. I have like 4 box stock cars I run that are AR. I've won or podiumed with each of them at least once.

In tuned class, I've grown to love the AR too. My first go at a tuned AR chassis was terrible, as at the time I had no idea what I was doing. It was slow, and just not built well, and suffered from transmission issues. I abandoned it for a while, and went back to it last fall. This time, I made some changes (with knowledge gained from experience), and since then, it's become my favorite chassis to use in tuned class. Most importantly is learning where to brace/space the gears in the transmission to make it run smooth. That makes all the difference. Paired with a good motor, it's not hard to make a fast tuned AR. Like in box stock it's a stable chassis, that jumps nicely. No crazy mass damper setups or anything. I just got a 2nd place this last weekend with the car (would have been first, but the car hung up on a jump, and there just wasnt enough track left to catch up). I can post pics of the car once I get home.

In open class racing, with how much faster the cars are, AR in its regular form is not that great. The transmission becomes a big weak spot of the car. That's why many people convert their AR chassis to FM orientation, as when the transmission spins opposite it is actually much smoother.

ap910 and Aaron like this.
  9. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Wow thanks for your input and info. Yeah my first car I got and built was the Shadow Shark,love the look.reminds me of an Indy Car.. I watch a very good video on YouTube if Roscoe's on AR chassis mods very informative.
    Where are you located ?? Unfortunately I am in Indiana no tracks I know if close to me,I am hoping people that might know where some tracks are around me can come on and let me know, or research for me. I really want to race these guys, but too they are addictive to build. Have another car in the way.

10. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

Im in SoCal, so I race at DXN.

Here is my tuned AR car. Its a pretty standard build I'd say for how we build our cars out here (you'll notice a lot of variation based on where people are located in the world).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaron likes this.
  11. NewbieGuy

NewbieGuy Washer

Really nice looking build I'd have to say.

12. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Nice build, how much in mod parts would say you have in the car. not icluding the cost of the Car. just wondering??

13. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

Depends on where you buy stuff, but a solid tuned class car for competitive racing will run between $150-200. This is with all carbon pieces, 620 bearings, etc. Basically the more expensive stuff that is better, but not "necessary" to be competitive. I always tell everyone to alot $200 for a car that way you can maybe grab a few extra parts to choose from to tune the car for a specific track.

14. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Some of the parts I don't see making a huge difference but I am new to this. Like putting a carbon fiber bumper .Then using not one but two carbon fiber reinforced front plates.why not just the carbon front bumper?

15. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

So that is likely more an open class car. The bottom carbon bumper acts as an under guard so nothing gets snagged on the track wall when it jumps. It is also a smooth location to mount a brake pad. Mounted on that you have two carbon plates. One will be angled to give downward angle to the front rollers to help it stay in the track, the other one is what we mount the rollers to.

For tuned class we cannot cut the chassis so what we do is mount one plate on the bottom of the stock bumper for underguard/brake and then another plate on the top for the actual roller mounting. The plastic already has built in angle so we don't need to deal with that.

Aaron likes this.
  16. AaronWebb91

AaronWebb91 Box Kit

BRO! I am also in Muncie, Indiana. You should hit me up sometime if you want to try and set up some races.

17. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Aaron that's so cool I sent you an PM on here.thats way cool we both live in Muncie!!!! Check your messages