1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Leo Rangers, Unite!

Discussion in 'MS' started by Drew, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

After speaking with Rangga over at Team Flazh, we were joking around about a couple things and the point of my 3 Leos (white/black/yellow at the time) came up, with Rangga mentioning how it looked like I got the Power Rangers colour theme going. So I figured, why not, I do love the shell style.

So I figured I'd make a thread dedicated to the Leo Rangers (still need Pink, Red, Green).
    They're not finished yet so will update this post as I go.

Leo Black = Box Stock set up, nothing special other than being Black Special.
    Leo White = Alternative suspension, independent sliding dampers all around, small wheels.
    Leo Yellow = Alternative suspension, rigid stays, large wheels.
    Leo Blue = Tuned Highspeed, experimental dynamic drive train (situation dependent, AWD/4WD/RWD) (Still WIP)
    Leo Pink = Common suspension, (rest to be decided, still WIP)
    Leo Red = (Still to decide, not started)
    Leo Green = (Still to decide, not started)

20190423_152534.jpg 20190423_152614.jpg

So far there are Leo Rangers Black, White, Blue and Yellow. Still need to make a pink, red and green (these were all the rangers in the UK show Mighty Morphin Power Rangers).

Leo Rangers, Unite!

r_s_macs and SignOfZeta like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Leo Ranger Blue! It's nothing special, just a tuned class highspeed build (no cutting/trimming, tuned motor only). I wanted to give each of the Leo Rangers a different setup, this one focuses on the idea of using one way wheels with smaller front tyres/larger rear tyres in order to shift power from AWD/4WD to RWD once up to top speed. This in theory should dynamically change the car between AWD when accelerating and when speed is varying (back to back corners) whilst shifting all power to RWD once car is at top speed and reducing a little of the overall load on the motor.

Of course this would be better done on a chassis such as S2 or some such, but as I said before, I wanted each of the leos to be unique.

PSX_20190423_152857.jpg 20190423_152311.jpg 20190423_152349.jpg 20190423_152407.jpg

3. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Finally got the motivation to put the track back together to test a couple of untested cars. But the one I really wanted to test was Leo Ranger Blue.

Given the crappy track I have, I made a peanut shape and ran it in a single lane. The length was 8m x 10 laps = 80m +/-

The Leo White is my second fastest car, but is setup for regular open class sporting suspension, independent sliding dampers, small one way wheels/tyres, 3.7:1 gear and mach dash motor. The Leo Blue is set as a tuned highspeed class car (bolt and go, not trimming). It's sporting 3.5:1 gear, torque tuned 2 pro, medium front and large rear one way wheels and double tyres to measure up to 33mm front +/- and rear 35mm.

Timing showed White doing consistent 1.5s laps.
    Timing showed Blue doing consistent 1.3s laps.

I'm pretty impressed by the performance of Blue.

4. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Here's a 2min video of the two cars from the other day.
    To clarify the setup of each car:

White (open class spec, my 2nd fastest car):
    24.3mm Tyres on one way wheels
    3.7:1 Gear
    Mach Dash motor
    Independent sliding damper
    Suspension
    222g weight (with batts)

Blue (tuned class high speed car/no cutting/no trimming):
    32.5mm Tyre front on medium one way wheels, 35mm Tyre rear on large one way wheels.
    3.5:1 Gear
    Torque Tuned 2 Pro
    Solid stays
    No suspension
    182g weight (with Batts)