1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rigid vs Adaptive builds

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Alex Soon, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Alex Soon

Alex Soon Screw

I understand there is 2 classes of build - Rigid & Adaptive.

The rigid are much easier to build compared to the adaptive where you must plan how to utilize the spring and rubber o-rings.

Can rigid build clear rocking straight, digital curve and go up steep slope? I am under the impression only adaptive build with those pivotal FL bumpers can clear rocking straight etc.

2. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

A rigid setup up will get destroyed going through a rocking straight. It is so jarring that the chassis will likely break. I would not even use sliding damper on rocking straight, as the movement needed to pass the section well is different from a digital turn. Pivot systems are your absolute best option for the rocking straights. For digital turns, sliding dampers work great though. Going up steep slopes has nothing to do with adaptive or rigid, it's more about ground clearance and brake settings.

Feroce and Alex Soon like this.
  3. Alex Soon

Alex Soon Screw

Meaning to say those front and rear bumpers supported by springs/rubbers o-ring in adaptive set-up can't be too rigid or the car itself will end up the same - destroyed by the rocking straight.

Have the rocking straight ever appear again in Japan Cup tournament or its just a one-time appearance?

I am finding it extremely hard to build a adaptive set-up. For Rigid, its much easier and straightforward.

A car with adaptive set-up can runs in every tracks be it with or without rocking straight but a car with rigid set-up can only race in track without rocking straight.

4. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

the rocking straight has appeared only once so far. It is common for Tamiya to rotate obstacles. Last year the new thing was digital dragon back that we had to deal with. This year, slash bank and a new lane change. We may see rocking straights again. Even here the biggest shop has the rocking straights and they have only ever used them for the 2018 Japan Cup layout.

The adaptive setups you are trying to replicate are extremely difficult. Start with something simpler and build from there. Front pivot and rear LG(or anchor) is what I suggest for new people getting into open class. This design is extremely popular in Indonesia, Malaysia and likely Singapore. Get your basics down then build from there.

Build a solid race proven design and then branch out. It took a year and a half before I started designing and building my own adaptive pieces. Now my cars are using all adaptive modifications made by me, but derived from what racers in Japan are doing. But it did take that basic knowledge and professional tools to create the pieces.

We mostly run more adaptive cars here, even on tracks without rocking straights because they will work on all tracks. Racers here who do not build adaptive setups suffer on tracks with digital turns and never do well.

Alex Soon likes this.
  5. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Lock Nut

Alex Soon and Feroce like this.